Who will be Fashion Group International of Denver’s next RISING STAR when Project Runway Meets The Academy Awards?
The “lucky thirteen” talented, new and emerging fashion designers will be saluted on October 8 and one will be given the title RISING STAR 2011 when the award-winning Fashion Group International of Denver presents it biennial signature gala.The highly anticipated, glamorous evening will be staged at the new District 475 in the Inverness area, 10111 Inverness Main Street, Englewood. Stunning creations from the designers will be modeled on the runway during the professionally produced fashion show. Merchandise from many of the designers is sold in upscale boutiques in Denver as well as online and across the country.
Popular radio and television host Denise Plante will emcee RISING STAR
The category winners are:
- Women’s Ready To Wear – Kaitlyn Thomas, KaiT DesignMen’s
- Ready To Wear – AJ Machete and Lianna K, Denver Bespoke
- Women’s Urban Wear – Meggie Hodge, Fahrenkamp Apparel
- Men’s Urban Wear – Kotomi Yoshida, Studio Yoshida
- Women’s Active Wear – Tracey Blake, Tracey Lynn Golf
- Men’s Active Wear – Don Powell, Panache Cycle Wear
- Outerwear – Dan Abrams and Greg Steen, FlyLow Gear
- Women’s Evening Wear – Gabriela Martinez, Gabriela Designs
- Bridal Couture – Maggie Burns, Marie-Margot Bridal Couture
- Couture Accessories – Natalee Moldenhauer, Natalee M Designs
- Contemporary Accessories – Dana Van Daele, Grey Sunshine
- Fine Jewelry – Samantha Larkins, Samantha Louise Jewelry
- Contemporary Jewelry – Lindsay Backman, Bloom Jewelry
Judges for the rigorous final selection phase were:
- Suzanne Brown – Lifestyle and Fashion Editor, The Denver Post
- Elaine Mariner –Colorado Department of Economic Development/ Director,Colorado Creative Industries
- Georgia Benjou – Fashion Editor, 5280 Magazine
- Heidi McGuire, 9News and Metromix Denver
- Holli Gibson, LamanBlu and 2009 RISING STAR winner
Former RISING STAR winners are:
- 2001 – Gabriel Conroy
- 2003 – Toby Orr and Sarah Siegel Magness
- 2005 – Lauren Chlebowski and Cyndy Everett
- 2007 – Gino Velardi2009 – Holli Gibson
Co chairs for the event that raises funds for fashion student scholarships andeducational outreach are stylist and entrepreneur Nathalia Faribault, Channel 9’s Emmy and Telly award winning Tommy Collier and Carol Engel-Enright, designer,FGI Denver Regional Director-Elect and Intern Coordinator, Department of Design& Merchandising at Colorado State University. All three also serve on the FGIDenver board of directors.
Since the gala is held during domestic violence month, a portion of this year’sproceeds will go to The Gathering Place and VOA’s The Brandon Center.
Fashion Group International is a global nonprofit of fashion industry professionalsfounded in 1930 in New York City. Fashion Group International of Denver wasfounded in 1958. FGI Denver won back- to- back awards at the internationalconferences in 2010 and 2011. In 2010 the coveted Special Event Award for RISINGSTAR, Fashion By Design Runway Gala chaired by now Regional Director ScottieTaylor Iverson and in 2011 for Membership.
For further information and reservations for RISING STAR, visit www.risingstardenver.org, blacktie-colorado.com or call Nathalia Faribault at 303.697.1299. Sponsorships are still available from $500 and reservations from $75 for general admission.